While perusing the good ol’ interweb yesterday, I came across a list of tips for “Surviving a Small Space” that was pretty useful. While this list had some pretty good advice, it inspired me to write my own list since I have already done my fair share of downsizing. Check out my list of tips and tricks to surviving that scary time we politely refer to as downsizing. 10 tips and tricks for a painless downsize…
Tips for a Painless Downsize
- LET’S BE REALISTIC – Massive sectionals and over-sized recliners have no place in a small condo – literally. Opt for smaller accent pieces like the Modern chair (shown) and a two-seater sofa, instead.
- SHELVING, SHELVING, SHELVING – Shelves can be added high up above doorways or windows, line a room with shelving (like the Chelsea shelves) high up to the ceiling and corner shelves are available to eliminate wasted space. Low bookcases can also be placed behind a sofa and double as a sofa table.
- CONTINUITY – Use consistent colours throughout your space. They don’t have to match exactly, but tones that blend will make the space appear and feel larger. This goes for flooring, too.
- LET THERE BE LIGHT – Shadows darken the room, making it appear smaller. Invest in some additional lamps and light fixtures to brighten it up. Also, keep all windows free from obstruction, if possible.
- PUNCH UP THE PLACE – Floor or table lamps, mirrors and headboards can all double as artistic and stylish accents. Have fun with your “multi-functional art,” while using no extra space.
- MULTI-FUNCTION FOR MULTI-USE SPACES – What’s better than something that serves a function? Something that serves 2! Or 3, or… Let’s face it, if a room must serve as a dining room/living room/office, our furniture needs to be pulling its weight too. Semblance modular systems do just that.
- SOFA BEDS FOR THE NEW GENERATION – I can’t even begin to explain how valuable a comfortable sofa bed is to your newly acquired small space. Not only can you still have guests over in a small condo, but they will actually be able to sleep comfortably! Just…hopefully not too comfortably.
- PLAY HIDE AND SEEK WITH STORAGE – Storage space can be found in unique spaces. Drawers under beds, ottomans that open for storage and moonlight as coffee tables and benches for the front door to store shoes are just a few of the many, many storage options available.
- MIRRORS ADD A NEW DIMENSION – Mirrors will literally double your space. Okay maybe not literally but mounting a large mirror on the wall will make the room feel twice the size. Read more about that neat little trick here.
- BRING THE OUTSIDE IN – Or the inside out, either way, if you have a patio or balcony, set it up so it’s an extension of your home, not just an after thought. People tend to forget about that bonus floor space.